Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Susan Rachele On Coping with A Parent with Severe Bipolar Disorder

Susan Rachele On Coping with A Parent with Severe Bipolar Disorder

Hello, this is Susan Rachele, and I would like to share my experience growing up in a household with a parent who has severe bipolar disorder. It is my hope that other people in similar situations be inspired to seek help for this mental illness, not only for the sake of their loved ones' well-being but for their own as well. This is especially true if they have had to suffer the various psychosocial implications connected to the mental disorder.

As mentioned, I grew up in such a household, and found myself on the receiving end of its myriad of aftereffects. Children who have parents with bipolar disorder are in a constant state of fear, anxiety, and worry because of their parents' unpredictable manic-depressive episodes. As a result, they may experience underdeveloped behavioral and intellectual growth.

Generally, the worse the conflict and verbal abuses are, the more severe and worse outcomes will be for the children involved. As children have yet to fully understand what is happening to their parents or why they do what they are doing, the poor state of the parent-child relationship can adversely affect their self-worth and self-esteem.

As for myself, I was initially diagnosed with PTSD (Post-traumatic Stress Disorder) and ADHD (Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder). Studies have found that PTSD is extremely common in such households due to higher instances of violence, physical abuse, and other similar events. It was also found that these children may develop ADHD as well.

I have since worked with a cognitive behavior therapist to help me cope and heal from past life events. Working with my therapist, she found that I actually have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), and Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD).

While these may seem like a whole lot of letters to worry about, I know I've taken a good first step when I sought therapy. My name is Susan Rachele, and I hope you do not hesitate to seek the help you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment