Sunday, November 6, 2016

Susan Rachele: When Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Aggravates Body Dysmorphia Disorder


Susan Rachele: When Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Aggravates Body Dysmorphia Disorder

Hello, my name is Susan Rachele, and I would like to share my story living with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and BDD (Body Dysmorphia Disorder). In a way, it would appear that having OCD and BDD is a horrifying combination to have, but I am proof that it's not a hopeless condition. In fact, I work with a cognitive behavioral therapist to help me work on these irrational beliefs.

Can you imagine how OCD can aggravate BDD? Let me give you an example. As someone who suffers from BDD, I avoid mirrors as much possible. I have even gone so far as to stop owning full-length mirrors because I am not happy with the person I see in the mirror. Because BDD forces me to focus on my "flaws" and "imperfections", my OCD heightens it and doesn't allow me to catch a break. As a result, I am forced to narrow in on the tiniest of flaws visible.

Of course, there may also be some good aspects to having OCD, such as having a keen eye for details. Unfortunately, more often than not, my OCD does not serve me and even torments me when it acts up with my BDD. One positive story I can share about having OCD is the first time I ever picked up a contract; I could pick it apart and understand it more than anyone else. A lawyer complimented me on this, but overall, OCD and BDD combined have nonetheless caused additional grief.

As I mentioned, despite these setbacks and sufferings, all hope is not lost. Besides working with a therapist, I have also sought the help of a herbalist and a meditation guru to help me. My name is Susan Rachele, and I hope to share my progress about my disorders in the coming blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment